While looking for events that took place on this day in history, I found that on May 4th, 1959, the first Grammy Awards were held. Everyone loves some sort of music, so I thought I would post some of the very first winners!
The First Grammy Awards, these awards recognized musical accomplishments by performers for the year 1958. Ceremonies were held on the same day at the Beverly Hilton Hotel in California, and in the Park Sheraton Hotel in New York City, simultaneously.
- Record Of The Year – Nel Blu Dipinto Di Blu (Volare) – Domenico Modugno, songwriter
- Album Of The Year – The Music From Peter Gunn – Henry Mancini, artist
- Song Of The Year – Nel Blu Dipinto Di Blu (Volare) – Domenico Modugno, songwriter
- Best Album Cover – Only The Lonely – Frank Sinatra, art director
- Best Vocal Performance, Female – Ella Fitzgerald Sings The Irving Berlin Song Book – Ella Fitzgerald, artist
- Best Vocal Performance, Male – Catch A Falling Star – Perry Como, artist
- Best Performance By A Dance Band – Basie – Count Basie, artist
- Best Performance By A Vocal Group Or Chorus – That Old Black Magic – Keely Smith & Louis Prima, artists
- Best Recording For Children – The Chipmunk Song – Ross Bagdasarian Sr., artist
- Best Original Cast Album (Broadway Or TV) – The Music Man – Meredith Willson, composer.
- Best Sound Track Album, Dramatic Picture Score Or Original Cast – Gigi – André Previn, artist…